Who is The Rum Trader?
My name is Scott French. I am a rum aficionado and cocktail fanatic who resides in Columbia, SC. As The Rum Trader, I have been sharing my passion and enthusiasm for rum and the rum industry online since 2008.
My rum obsession began over a decade ago. Spawned by a memorable week in Key West, FL spent with good friends and a bottle of Angostura 1919.
With a rum collection of nearly 400 different rums, I am a self-professed rum nut. In addition to traveling to rum and tiki events around the country, I spend my free time hosting rum tastings, reviewing and researching rum, visiting distilleries, hunting for old stock rums, and sharing my knowledge about the rum industry with others.
I have selected a few events from the 2017 Rum, Tiki & Cocktail schedule to attend. It is my plan to visit as many South Carolina rum distillers as possible this year. I will be back in Miami, Chicago and Ft. Lauderdale. I will also be in Charleston quite a bit attending events at Cane Rhum Bar and possibly the Rum Runners and BevCon events.
For 2017 I will be:
- Visiting most, if not all, South Carolina Rum distillers
- Serving as a Guest RumXP Judge at the Miami Rum Renaissance Festival
- Attending the Midwest Rum Festival, Chicago, IL
- Attending the Chicago Area Tiki Tour (CATT), Chicago, IL
- Attending The Hukilau, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Talking Tiki Cocktails, The Aiken Rum Club, Aiken, SC
- Visiting Cane Rhum Bar, Charleston, SC
- Was a Guest RumXP Judge at the Miami Rum Renaissance Festival
- Attended the Midwest Rum Festival, Chicago, IL
- Attended The Hukilau, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Covered Rum Runners, Charleston, SC
- Covered BevCon, Charleston, SC
- Gave my first rum presentation, From Rum Fan To Rum Judge – Evaluating and Judging Rum, The Aiken Rum Club, Aiken, SC
- Attended presentations by Ed Hamilton (Hamilton Rum) and Tim “Swanky” Glazner (Mai-Kai: History and Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant), Cane Rhum Bar, Charleston, SC
In 2015, I served as a judge on the inaugural Rum XP Consumer Rum Jury at the 2015 Miami Rum Renaissance.
You can read an interview I did with TheRumLab.com
The Rum Trader